Thursday, May 31, 2007

Trout Lilies

Trout lily season is almost over (I love their yellow blossoms and their green and brown mottled leaves). Spring is finally opening here. The hummingbirds are making their frequent and busy visits to the feeder. A few big bees are feeding on the dandelions. The kingfishers are patrolling the brook for trout.

A LONG WALK IN TROUT LILY SEASON

Today I felt a marriage between what is inside me
and inside streams and plants. Entangled also was
the sound of your voice, sweet and unpredictable:
"We could walk one more mile."

What are we walking toward? The trout lily
blossoms are completely folded back, slumped,
exhausted. But the windflowers have opened,
staking their ground; they blush a little with a
quiet excitement.

I close my eyes and see small flames rising
in the blossoms. On the white road turning
to sand you walk beside me.

(Copyright 2007, Allan Cooper)

1 Comments:

Blogger Rodney Mackay said...

Thanks for the poetry Alan. I have just posted a painting of you from the old old days on my blog at http://rodneymackay.blogspot.com/

6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home