Saturday, January 12, 2008

A Poem about Light

I was going through my third book, Bending the Branch, which was first published in 1983, and found this small love poem. I think this is a good place to start the new year. I've always liked the poem, but I'd forgotten about it, not having read the book in a number of years.

POEM ABOUT LIGHT

You first came to me
as light across fields,
light from a seed,
light from inside the body

And I knew this life
is but a moment of light
on earth: bloom
that gives itself entirely to the seed.

There are places I return to
to call all the particles of light
up into the form of beauty;

when you return, the light
will stand inside me
like a tree.

(Copyright Allan Cooper, 1983, 2008)

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

great poem indeed -- nice weaving together of love, absence, and longing. i recall it from long ago -- it must have been in "the pearl inside the body" (whose title is echoed in this poem)

2:32 PM  
Blogger Driftwood & Turtles said...

Lovely poem ~ the last line has lodged itself inside of me - it is such a beautiful image.

3:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home