Monday, May 19, 2008

A Spring Poem

I wrote this small poem in 1993. It was later published in Heaven of Small Moments (Broken Jaw Press, 1998). I was influenced by the old Chinese poets, James Wright and Kabir when I wrote this poem.

I usually have a long trek across the hills in early spring to see what's happening in the natural world. The hummingbirds are just back, and they're busy in the river willows and at the feeder. A rose-breasted grosbeak visited us for a whole afternoon. And the centre of gold that I write about in the poem seems to be getting stronger every day.

WALKING IN THE HILLS IN EARLY SPRING

Somehow the day begins
unfettered.
A few little willow leaves
open.
Dry leaves of maples
that fell last autumn
give off their radiance.
This is the centre of gold I wanted.
All afternoon
I walk alone across the hills, content,
accompanied
only by my shadow.

(Copyright Allan Cooper 1998, 2008)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home